internet in need of desperate help

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by aidan2829, Jan 18, 2009.

1. aidan2829

aidan2829 Geek Trainee

i am having problems with my wireless internet it keeps disconnecting then reconnecting rapidly i have tried alot of things to fix this problem even reinstalling windows an buying a new wireless card but nothing seems to work any help will be great thank

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

does you computer keeping disconnecting from the router or the router keeps disconnecting from the internet?

3. aidan2829

aidan2829 Geek Trainee

sorry i forgot to say im on wireless and another computer in my house is connected to the router:doh:

4. Sniper

whats the signal strength like on the computer that's connecting using wireless.

5. aidan2829

aidan2829 Geek Trainee

its on full

6. Sniper

ok, does this only happen to your computer or does it occur on other computers is well?

what happens if you place the computer near the wireless connection? more questions

- whats the router model?
    - are you using a wireless USB adapter?
    - using a laptop?

7. aidan2829

aidan2829 Geek Trainee

netgear dg834ft, nope its a card and nope desktop pc

8. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

It's possible that you have a neighbor with a wireless device using the same channel as you. Is your router using the default channel it shipped with? If so, try one at either extreme of the spectrum and see if you have better results.

9. little dave

little dave Geek Trainee

......don't forget the microwave oven and the 2,4 ghz telephone.

10. aidan2829

aidan2829 Geek Trainee

ive tried many different channels and still no change

11. Sniper

ah so you have a PCI wireless card? i've had major problems with these in the past (constantly being disconnected)! are you able to try a wireless USB card or move the computer near the router to see it helps?

12. aidan2829

aidan2829 Geek Trainee

yes i do, ive tried moving it closer to the router but have found no change and i will try a wireless usb card as soon as i can get one thanks for the help :good:

13. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

USB isn't very good for networking to be honest, though if you have one you're certainly welcome to try. It could be simply a cheap chipset, in which cause it doesn't matter how it's physically connected to your PC.

My first suggestion would be to make sure the antenna is effective enough. Is it a larger antenna, or a small one? Is it plugged directly into the wireless card, or is it on an extension cable? Is it in the "line of fire" from your access point? Basically, wireless is like firing buckshot; it spreads out in an arc. The further away, the weaker the affect, but the bigger the radius. Also, wifi won't go through just anything. Large mirrors are known to cause problems for wifi, as are water-filled pipes, dense metals, etc. If you have a bunch of obstacles between you and the access point, this adds another potential issue for your connectivity.

14. aidan2829

aidan2829 Geek Trainee

its quite a large antenna and its plugged directly into the card, no its not in the line of fire and theres no mirrors or pipes in the way