Lan adapter doesn't work!

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by antivirus, Oct 3, 2009.

1. antivirus

antivirus Geek Trainee

Hi everybody,

I have a laptop (HP 6735s). I used to browse the Internet with it but now the LAN adapter just doesn't work. My OSs (both Windows and Linux) tell me that the adapter works fine but the cable is unplugged (although the cable is Plugged and no LEDs light or blink in both laptop and router). I had experienced a similar behavior with the laptop in the past, but the problem vanished by itself within an hour. Now the adapter doesn't work since 29th September!
    Is the adapter burnt out and/or should I give it to technical service?

P.S. Sorry for my bad English!

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

The best thing to do first is to check the cable itself. Do you have a spare network cable to test if that does work?

3. antivirus

antivirus Geek Trainee

I don't have spare network cable. I tried with 2 "regular" cables - don't work on the laptop but they do work on my old PC. Probably the problem is not in cable.

4. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

If the cables work fine with other computers, then the LAN adapter is indeed broken.

5. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

have you tried another port on the routers switch? tried hard resetting your router?

6. Dracos

Dracos Geek

are u sure that the cable is straight, not cross?

7. antivirus

antivirus Geek Trainee

I've been using this cable for more than 3 years and suddenly the connection died. The cable is for router->computer usage (I think) because that's how I used it with no problems. As RHochstenbach said probably the LAN adapter is broken. I consider going to technical service...

8. macbeton

macbeton Guest

Just use wireless! :)