Limited Access To Internet

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by JOHN AB, Jan 1, 2009.

1. JOHN AB

JOHN AB Geek Trainee

Hi, Just got a new laptop, I am NOT boffin. Its a sony Fw21L with Vista. My desktop is fine accessing the Internet (cable ethernet connection to router), my old lap top was fine with Wireless connection.
    The new one just shows "limited Access" and actually will not allow me to get wireless connectivity for Internet. I have tried it with a cable ethernet connection and no problems. Spec is SONY FW21L, VISTA, USING AOL as ISP, Norton installed (came with the new laptop). And I haven't got a clue why not - anybody got any ideas or had the same problem, many thanks and also a happy new year.

John::)

2. 8bitbob

8bitbob Geek Trainee

hi,

Check whether the wireless network configuration IP and DNS is set to automatic.

3. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Hm. Is your router reasonably old? Perhaps your new laptop uses a newer standard of wireless transmission that is not built into your router. You could most likely configure the laptop to use an older standard that would work. Only thing I can think of atm. Post what it says about the wireless connection in your laptop specs/manual and the same from your router.