Monitor in standby or off when PC switched off?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by DavidNW, May 19, 2006.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hello, everyone.

Are there any disadvantages in leaving a monitor in standby mode when you have powered down and switched off your PC? Just wondered, as I always leave mine in standby, never turning it off.

Cheers,

Dave.

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

There is no disadvantages per se, except that it uses electricity.
    I leave mine on, as does everyone else i know.

3. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Yes, I thought so too, Pelvis. I've been leaving mine in standby mode for what must be at least 9 years now and it's still going strong!

Dave.

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

lol, you've left it a bit late to ask this question :)

5. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Lol, Megamaced! I guess I had my answer all along! Haven't got my thinking head on today, obviously.

Actually, I do the same with myTV. Some say it shortens the life of them, but that's another story.

Dave ;)

6. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Err, I'm resurrecting this thread cuz I stumbled across it during my search for answers about my monitor question lol...

But anyway, just wondering, how much difference is there in electricity use between the monitor in standby and in normal use? Any approximations at all? Like, I dunno, 50% less electricity?

7. megamaced

I don't know the exact figures but I can tell you that a monitor on standby uses a lot more power then you would think.

8. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Hmm. So isn't that a totally pointless waste of electricity to leave it on standby? Why don't u people just hit the button to turn it off, ya lazy punks (e.g. David & Pelvis)? :D

9. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Reaching for my power button means effort :D

10. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

i never turn off my monitor or PC! although a few alt+f4+u could do the job and a little push of the little round button, but as pelvis said, it takes too much effort. sorry bout posting in this thread....

11. megamaced

Yeah, I also leave my monitor on standby and there is no real reason for it. I guess it's just force of habit. Yes it is bad for the environment, but if you really wanted to make a difference DaRuSsIaMaN, you would need to turn off your computer at the plug every night. And don't forget about all the other electronic devices in the house, TVs, VCRs, DVD Players and Microwaves to name a few. They all use power when they aren't being used

12. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

rofl ... wow :p

Alright, maybe I'll start doing that lol :D