need a better network setup...

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by pasc0n3sian, Jun 2, 2009.

1. pasc0n3sian

pasc0n3sian Geek Trainee

first of all i cant believe i have to ask these basic questions,
    but i've been out of the loop now for soooo long...

currently i live on a property with 3 seperate dwellings.
    we all want to share the same internet access
    cuz nobody uses much bandwidth, but we dont want to share files.
    unit1 and unit2 share a wall; unit3 is about 100' away.
    unit1 has a cable modem and linksys WRT160N router,
    which provide web access for unit1 and unit2.
    unit3 has a seperate cable modem and WRT54G
    which we want to eliminate as a cost saving measure.
    unit3 only picks up the WRT160N on occassion and its a weak signal.
    what i want to know is:

CAN I RUN A CAT5 CABLE FROM THE WRT160N TO THE WRT54G AND SHARE THE 1 CABLE MODEM FOR WEB ACCESS?
    if yes,
    - does it need to be crossover or is patch ok?
    - whats the difference between cat5 and cat6?

if no, what other options should i consider?
    i havent heard much positive about the wi-fi range extender antennaes.

thanks for your time,
    aloha

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yes, provided that you have a router behind it, and connect all PCs to that.
    If you need it, I can make you a simple topology diagram later to illustrate.
    Depends on the switches you're using. A crossover is the proper way, but a lot of switches will do auto-uplink.
    Maximum bandwidth. If you're just using it for broadband, cat5 is more than good enough.

All the best,
    -Chris

3. pasc0n3sian

pasc0n3sian Geek Trainee

thanks for the reply anti-trend,
    so let me get this straight::

. . modem
    . . . . |
    WRT160N--cat5--WRT54G
    . | . . . | . . . . . . | . . . |
    computers . . . more computers

and they should all be able share the same internet connection using wi-Fi or whatever

4. Anti-Trend

I've attached a diagram showing what I mean. Basically once you get the network connection to them, they can connect using cables, drop a WAP in there, whatever.

Attached Files:

5. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Hmm AT, they already have 2 routers. Your setup would make one of the routers useless and would require buying 2 switches, if I understand you right? Isn't it possible to use what they already have by making one router act as the "main" router (connected directly to modem) and then making the other router act as a switch (not connected to modem but only to the "main" router)? Not sure how to do it, but it is definitely possible to network multiple routers together in a LAN, isn't it?

6. Anti-Trend

Yup.

Depends on the router, but seems pretty ghetto just to save $10.

Yes, but you don't want to double-NAT traffic, or you'll start to have trouble with various web services.

Again, all that just to save a few bucks on a switch? Doesn't seem worth it to me, which is why I didn't suggest it. You'd have to pay me a lot more than $10 to troubleshoot network problems because somebody reset a plastic router back to factory defaults and it started serving DHCP. Better to just use the right tool for the job rather than have to go back and fix it later.

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, your correct DRMAN as simply disabling DHCP effectively turns a router into a switch but as AT said, if some plank reset the router to fatory defaults it would reenable the disabled DHCP Server provided by the router and create a hard to trace fault

8. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Ah, alright. I see. Thx for explaining, guys.

9. Anti-Trend

Hehe, actually donkey's not exactly correct either. I don't mean to nitpick, but I also don't want anybody to be accidentally mislead.

DHCP doesn't really have anything to do with routing; it's the mechanism that automatically hands out IP and basic network configuration info. I used it as an example because if you have 2 DHCP servers on 1 network and only one is properly configured, the other will be giving incorrect info to any computers unfortunate enough to get an IP from it. Therefore, those PCs getting the incorrect info probably wouldn't be able to get out on the internet in this example. Make sense?

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, understood, :beer: AT