New asrock mobo not reading hard drive or cd drive

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Warmonger41, May 27, 2006.

1. Warmonger41

Warmonger41 Big Geek

I just got an ASRock dual series mobo and an Athlon64 3000 to go with it and the motherboard is not reading the cd drive or hard drive. I dont know much about the hard drive except it is an IDE hard drive.
    The wierd part about my problem is that when I first installed it my mobo read everything correctly but still had a diff problem (which im not gonna get into yet) but then the next morning when i turned it on I had no control over the keyboard and my mobo wasnt reading my cd drive or hard drive.

I realize this is very hard to understand and this is very hard to type out but any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to the motherboard.

ASRock - Products - 939Dual-SATA2

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

is the HDD drive set to master on the primary IDE channel ? and connected to the end of the IDE cable ?
    just disconnect the CD for now, until finished diagnosing

3. Warmonger41

Warmonger41 Big Geek

Yes the IDE hard drive is set as the primary master. AThe odd thing about my problem is that a few days ago the mobo recognized all the hardware and now all it recognizes is the floppy drive and I didnt change ANYTHING!!

but im am going to unplug ide cd drive and c how that goes.

thx

4. Warmonger41

Warmonger41 Big Geek

So I took your advice about removing the cd drive and it read my hd(gj) and now im getting a blue error sreen. You may be familiar with it, it says something like

If this is the first time you have seen this message blah blah blah
    and says something about updating BIOS and at the end of the message has lots of numbers and letters that dont make any sense to me.

and that is where i am stuck.thx

5. Warmonger41

Warmonger41 Big Geek

If anyone has a pic I could look at or knows where i can get one of my motherboard put together based on an IDE hd and cd drive that would be alot of help. Im very desperate and just want to game on my new mobo and proc.

thx for any help

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

what O/S ?

7. Warmonger41

Warmonger41 Big Geek

Windows XP

8. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

I had this kind of screen in the past and the only thing helped me in getting out of it is reinstalling windows.
    Plug in your cd rom again into your computer and check in the bios, can you see your HDD and CD rom over there? if yes then go ahead, make your CDrom as a first boot device and install windows again.
    Other thing which comes in my mind is, try pulling out all the external cards and put them back again.

9. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

also, it's worth a try to replace your IDE cable. also try plugging the connector in the longest side of the cable in the blue socket.

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

you mobo manual does a good job of explaining thing you neen to understand, download it and study it click here to download it

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

right iit the chip circles in red, peel the sticker off (its only OEM rebranding) then post what it says on the chip (laser etching)

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

right your mobo is so new that the audio drivers are not yet available, try again in about 6 months, but in the meantime you may find this A/C 97 ALC850 may work try searching for AC 97 ALC850 and you will only find specs & design you mat be able to find a driver but i couldn't all i could find was this from Realtek (OEM) i think your original driver that came with your mobo or the driver i fonud are probably your best bet (ignore windows when it tells you that this is the incorrect driver for the hardware just use anyway, and see if it works)

13. Warmonger41

Warmonger41 Big Geek

Well sry it took so long for you to get your proper thx. But I gave the comp to someone who knew alot more then me and they fixed it. It wasnt a hardware problem it was a software problem and had something to do with my hdd but thats all I know.

thx all again

14. donkey42

donkey42 plank

just glad you got it sorted, see ya