Overheating problem

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by G0thic, Jul 26, 2005.

1. G0thic

G0thic Geek Trainee

Hello, I'm having a bit of an overheating problem here. If I do processor intensive tasks(compiling, some games), the computer will freeze. After rebooting I find the cpu temp. usually about 56, 57 degrees. This also happens when I open the box. I also noticed that the temperature the bios reports in idle state gets as high as 54 degrees(open or close case).

Is this only a case cooling issue or is there something wrong with the processor itself(amd athlon xp 2700)? If this is a processor issue, can anyone instruct me on what to look for?

I should also mention that I have only one 120mm intake fan on the side and an atx power supply.

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i think its a problem with your processor heatsink and fan, it shouldnt get up that high, you could try and get a new one or check if it has come loose, make sure the contact is the best possible, have you always had this problem? also do you know if when the heatsink was put on the cpu whether thermal paste or a thermal pad was used? also have you got anywhere to put that big fan on the back, you should have intake at the front and bottom and exhaust at the top of the back as this alows cool air in and hot air out, it shouldnt be a case fan problem as long as you've got good intake of cool ir and exhaust of hot air.

3. Addis

Addis The King

Agreed, check that HSF is mounted properly, and an exhaust fan at the back of your case would help. Many people say that an exhaust fan is more efficient at cooling than an intake.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah an exhaust fan sucks the air out directly whereas an intake fan without an exhaust fan will just suck air in anf let it float around whereever it wants, hot air can end up collecting but with an exhaust fan it will be sucked out and if air is sucked out then air will be sucked in at the front which is easier than having an intake fan and having to somehow push air out somewhere.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

6. G0thic

G0thic Geek Trainee

Matt555: I had problems from the beginning(no vents in the box), the comp. would freeze randomly after 5 to 10 min. The service guys found out it was the motherboard. Replaced it. It worked then well under easy load but not heavy. I opened the case and didn't have problems since last time I tried compiling stuff, same freezes as on the beginning.
    Haven't checked under the cpu yet..gonna do that soon.

Exfoliate: Yeah the cooler is stock. I never had 120mm slots, I drilled a big hole:)

I added one outtake fan but it's completely ineffective. The temp. still gets to 54 degrees. I'm guessing it's because instead of a hole I have many small holes in the back of the case. Gonna try peeking under the heatsink next.

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

you say you drilled a hole, another good idea (if your case doesnt have holes for intake at the front) is to drill some or get a new case with room for bigger case fans, a 120mm fan can push more cfm than an 80mm at the same rpm and sometimes even using a lower rpm it can still out-do an 80mm fan, vantec tornados are good for cfm but they are very very loud,

8. G0thic

G0thic Geek Trainee

I love you guys;) replacing the old thermal compound from the proccesor did the trick. The people who assembled my machine applied it very sparingly. After I replaced it the temp. still rose to 52 degrees but very slowly. Adding the exhaust fan I removed earlier did the trick. I'm now running at 44 degree cpu temp.

when I manage to find another power plug for the 4th fan, my box will be winter cold;)
    thanks for your help

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

you could still do with getting it a little bit cooler, mine idles at 25*C, you could do with getting a new cooler, mine was an arctic cooling freezer 4 (socket 478) and cost £15, dropped CPU temps by 10*C they used to idle at 35*C great value for money,

G0thic likes this.
  10. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah i have a tube of that magic little stuff sitting on my desk along with the thermal compund that came with the cooler, also arctic cooling but its 'arctic cooling mx-1'

12. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I use Artic Silver Ceramique. I'm paranoid about the silver getting in the processor.

13. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

lol hey we all love our parts, why dont they use gold too though? conducts and cools good

14. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

you shouldn't be, if it does then there's a problem somewhere,