PC Pro - Hard Disks

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Matt555, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

In this months PC Pro magazine there's a very small article about Hard Disks (it's about reliability...)
    WINNER: Samsung
    HIGHLY COMMENDED: Maxtor
    The ratings for reliability are as follows:
    ExcelStor: ***
    Hitachi: ****
    Maxtor: *****
    Samsung: ****** (WINNER)
    Seagate: ***
    Western Digital: **
    So that's a big surprise, we always stick by Seagate and WD for their quality but WD is last and Seagate is only one place above WD and joint with ExcelStor. Maxtor comes second, now thats strange...Samsung I can imagine winning or getting high marks as they do make good HDD's
    Quoted from the article:
    Those percentages for Samsung are weird...90% + 8% + 3% = 101% wtf?!
    I am quite surprised, maybe in recent times Maxtor has realised it needed to do something about its quality and then redically changed.
    Anyway hope you find this interesting.

2. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

the ranking of maxtor doesnt surprise me because i know alot of people with them ith no probs but WD surprises me. well ive had one die but so man peaple praise them...

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for that Matt555, All my HD/s are Samsung :)

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

It's alright, there's a whole awards section but that little part caught my eye, I was really surprised about Maxtor.
    Samsung I've heard are really good, from what I've read/heard their drives are quick, reliable and quiet.

5. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Well done Samsung!!! RL Supplies really knew what they were talking about!
    They recomended my Samsung to me....

6. Addis

Addis The King

Samsung have good drives, but surprised at Maxtor. Maybe they have started to clean up their act.

7. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

samsung are vv raliable, i have had my 160gb samsung hdd now for almost a year, and had no problems with it, the western digital 250gb is doing brilliant aswell, i had that about 4 months.

there must be a problem with there tests if western digital only get 2 starts :s.

Seagate harddrives are brilliant aswell, i have had a 20gb seagate hard drive for 5 years now, and not had one problem with it yet!

8. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I rarely buy anything other then Maxtor. I've always found them to reliable - even their older ranges.

I've got an old 20GB 5,400 Hard Disk which I batter practically every day with OS upgrades and reinstalls.

Seeing Western Digital towards the bottom doesn't suprise me. I've got a WD200 which has received a lot of criticism. One owner said his failed only 6 months from new. The reason was the Actuator arm fell off completely and scratched the platters! Can you believe that.

Also, I'm glad I didn't buy that Excelstor I saw a while back, after seeing these scores!

9. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Same here mate Ive had my maxtor for five.. well nearly six now years and its still going strong.

10. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

I've had a Maxtor 20gb for about 4 or 5 years and it's been fine. I've also had my WD 200gb IDE for about 1 year, both doing fine and no complaints with them. I'm kind of surprised that Maxtor won out of everyone though.

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Western Digital was pretty crappy about five years ago or so. Personally, I did have to RMA a few Maxtor drives in the past, but since then, I've yet to have any problems with one.

Having said that, I'm curious to know the testing methodology of this article.

12. megamaced

Where are IBM in the results? Wasn't their deskstar range 'the shit' back in the day?

13. megamaced

Maxtor and Seagate to combine forces!

Seagate Technology To Acquire Maxtor Corporation
    Posted by admin on: 2005-12-21 14:09:22

News Source: Remedy

Seagate (NYSE: STX) and Maxtor (NYSE: MXO) today jointly announced they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Seagate will acquire Maxtor in an all stock transaction. Under the terms of the agreement, which has been unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies, Maxtor shareholders will receive .37 shares of Seagate common stock for each Maxtor share they own. When the transaction is completed Seagate shareholders will own approximately 84% and Maxtor shareholders will own approximately 16% of the combined company. The value of the transaction is approximately $1.9 billion.

14. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

First of all, subjective tests like this make me cringe, because they give you so little info on their methodology or even which models the used for the tests. Also, Seagate just purchased Maxtor.

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah i can see what you're saying and this article was very small, I jsut thought I'd share it with you all.
    Interesting news about Seagate purchasing Maxtor..very interesting...

16. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

good. :)

17. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Craig381, please start a new thread on your problem.

click on the new thread icon on this page: storage devices
    Dont forget to read the rules