Please explain the pro's and cons' of dvi vs vga

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by sciroccosven, Feb 19, 2007.

1. sciroccosven

sciroccosven Geek Trainee

I have found my way towards buying a video card. I see alot of the cards have DVI ports only. Is this going to completely take over? Is there must have reasoning to go this way? All monitors I own including my lcd have vga only ports. On my girlfriends computer I installed an ati all in wonder to take over as a tivo and the DVI port has a ton of s-video, composite, monitor ports so I can see the benefit for that application. If I were to buy a DVI only ported card I would have to buy an adapter. What is the benefit?

Thanks in advance for any help. I am lost.

Dave

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Cards with dual-DVI come with at least 1, sometimes 2, DVI to VGA converters.

DVI has the advantage of using digital signals, where VGA uses analog...

3. Sparks

Sparks Geek Trainee

you'll be fine, most cards come with a vga/dvi adaptor. I run my lcd with the adaptor that came with my card and its not a problem.

4. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

basically nothing really, lol, yes there is a difference, but you probably won't notice it, unless your run some really high end games and high settings, on a high resolution. Otherwise, DVI and VGA are about the same, however i think DVI can output a higher resolution.

5. sciroccosven

sciroccosven Geek Trainee

Cool deal, I wasnt sure what if any the difference was but it wont matter in my quest for glory.

Dave

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

And in case there's any concern using an adaptor doesn't degredate the image quality in any noticeable way so you'll be fine if you end up with that route.