radeon 8x problem and dvi vs vga on flat panels

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by shadowflipper, Apr 11, 2004.

1. shadowflipper

shadowflipper Geek Trainee

hi i have a gigabyte k8n pro with and amd 64 3200 and 1 gb of geil pc3200 value ram and a radeon 9700 pro. i get 17200 on 3d mark 2001 (non-se) and around 7000 on pcmark03. however when i look at my settings in my advanced video properties it says my current agp transfer rate is 2x. so i looked in bios and i have an option thats auto, 4x and 8x. on any of them i still show up at 2x. i know that thats not right because my scores are on par with what they should be but im just confused. im using catalyst 4.3, and my nforce drivers are up to date. The other strange thing is whenever i boot my computer from a cold boot my signal is all scrabled but when i shut it off and turn it right back on it works fine. it just seems to be when i start it. and last im using a hpL1820 19 inch flat panel and i notice the refresh rate probelms associated with flat panels, and im wondering if a dvi cable will help out or not.

thanks for the help
    mike

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Try downloading the OmegaDrivers

2nd, for the flat panel: they're designed to work best at one resolution, so others will work, but you may notice somethings don't seem/act quite right.

For the cold boot problem, the card might be acting up, but I'd test it in another system to be sure.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Just FYI, Omegadrive drivers are awesome for gaming and 3D apps, but synthetic benchmarks will score lower than with stock ATI drivers. That being said, I exclusively use Omega Drivers in Windows.
    A lot of times, your system will change the resolution (and therefore the refresh rate) on the fly. This happens a lot with games and such. This is very annoying to those of us who have monitors which work best at certain specific refresh rates. Try using ReForce, which will autopopulate a resolution/refresh-rate table with information from your plug&play monitor, and then force Windows to use only those proper refresh rates. (it's much easier than it sounds, really!)