The smaller the better

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by kylebellamy, Sep 12, 2005.

1. kylebellamy

kylebellamy Geek Trainee

I'm curious to find out what the smallest, lightest portable HD is around. The reason I ask is that I have an iBook with a 30gig drive in it (yes, I could replace it but if you haven't seen the steps to do so, do a google search... it is a nightmare) and I wnated to get something I could... mount... on the lid of the iBook.
    Most likely I would fabricate a holder so that the drive wouldn't have to be attached all the time. Ideally, it would be powered by the firewire or usb port to facilitate taking it everywhere.
    Any thoughts on this? I'll share my aventures of getting it set up so others can do the same.

2. shanegfowler

shanegfowler Geek Trainee

The Optorite Model #: UD04G is the smallest HD I've ever seen weighing in @ 1.6oz and measuring 2.8" x 2.0" x 0.4" Also it is USB 2.0 and I have seen it for around $90.

3. kylebellamy

kylebellamy Geek Trainee

That is perfect. I wonder if they can be daisy chained. I tend to use my machine as a portable studio and when I'm dealing with sound design the files get huge very quickly.

Thanks for the reccomendation!

4. shanegfowler

5. kylebellamy

kylebellamy Geek Trainee

Stop! Stop! Your spoiling me! lol

6. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

7. shanegfowler

8. kylebellamy

kylebellamy Geek Trainee

Well, this should be fun then. I'm doing the design on my PC for the drive holder. This is for a reason: http://www.emachineshop.com/

They offer a free CAD program that allows you to design what you need and have it priced and made in a whole number of different materials as needed. I've used them for other "mods" before and they are awsome.