Upgrade 3200 to 4200 X2--Special Considerations?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by nullGumby, Jul 24, 2007.

1. nullGumby

nullGumby Geek Trainee

Currently I have:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+

And I'm buying:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

--both Socket 939.

I'm wondering if there's anything special I have to do besides drop the new CPU in--like in regards to voltage, "jumpers", BIOS settings and things. My motherboard is a:

MSI RS482M4-FD/ ILD/ IL/ L

Also, will the stock heat sink and fan that came with my 3200 suffice for the 4200?

Thanks so much for the help.

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Welcome to hardwareforums nullGumby :beer:

It should work fine straight off (And the 4200 will most likely come with an identical stock cooler to the 3200) but if i was you i would be tempted to save up for a little longer so that i could get the AM2 version (skt 940) and a AM2 motherboard so that i could use DDR2 ram (Many times faster :))

also, another upgrade that is worthwhile is SATA hard drives (btw the difference between SATA1 & SATA2 doesn't make any noticeable difference)

3. nullGumby

nullGumby Geek Trainee

Impotence,

Thanks for the reply... I should have mentioned the processor I'm getting is a "processor only" purchase.

Also my mobo is a Socket 939 that's designed for AMD processors--it was kinda tough to find a 939 version as AM2 is the newer and better. I also have SATA, striped 160 GBs.

I'll keep in mind your suggestions for future upgrading--thanks for the reply!

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, dual-core chips do put out a bit more heat. You're going to jump from 67W to 89W of power output. I believe AMD bundles a beefier cooler with copper and heatpipes employed. You could swing it with the stock cooler, but I'd be very wary of it. My X2 3800+ puts out about as much heat as my 3700+ did when it was overclocked past 2.6GHz (from the stock 2.2).

A cheap performance cooler would be the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro. It runs $20-30 online, so it's fairly reasonable for a high-performance cooler.

5. Impotence

6. nullGumby

nullGumby Geek Trainee

Alright...Done!

I got the new CPU in, and the new RAM--looks like everything's working fine.

I saw that I have 2 GB of RAM, and in Process Explorer I see the two processor windows. SysInfo tells me AMD 4200+ Dual--just like it's suposed to.

My first real test was running a Prime95 torture test for a few minutes...got the CPU up to 46 C and then stopped the test--but under normal usage it seems to be around 33 C.

I still have yet to try some gaming or anything--but I'm just glad I didn't order the wrong parts or break something. Thanks again for everyone's help.

7. Impotence

no problem, congrats on the upgrade :)