USB TV Freeview Adapter- views please

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by skribla, Dec 19, 2005.

1. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

I just saw this Freeview adapter (USB) on the internet: http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/product_detail.asp?stype=5&productcode=1513-2115&group=TVT&pgroup=

I just wondered what your views, are- does it look good? It appears to have everything I want ie remote and the ability to watch and record two different channels.

Also, does anyone know what the reception is like on these things. I don't have a aerial socket near to where I will be plugging the box in so the reception will probably come from a indoor aerial.

Cheers all

2. Addis

Addis The King

Indoor reception is harder to get than a good external, but this can be overcome with a good indoor aerial. To check you'll get good reception, you might want to buy a decent aerial first and plug it into a TV and check that the picture is crisp.

The device itself looks ok.

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

An indoor area will be fine for Freeview as long as you are in a strong signal area. I'm using a cheap indoor ariel i bought of the market, and it works fine for Freeview

I am not familiar with the brand of that TV card (infact it looks generic, I can't find the brand name). I ONLY use Hauppauge hardware to watch Freeview through my PC. Hauppauge were one of the first companies to bring digital TV to the PC.

If you are using a laptop, then you should check out Hauppauge's USB Card. If on the other hand, you are using a desktop PC, i'd recommend you get an internal PCI card. I'm using the Nova-T PCI and it's great.

All the details are here:

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/prods_digital-t.html

You could probably pick either one up for as little as £50. I know it's more money then the one you've suggested, but you are paying for quality.

4. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

i will probably be using it on a desktop PC but if i got to uni then I will probably want it for my laptop.

I am also taking in to account that I have never installed a PCI card myself and so don't want to risk damaging/ voiding the warranty on my new computer.

can you telll me if it will void the warranty and also, how simple it is to install a PCI card- if you can give me any links to instructions then that would be great!

5. megamaced

Installing a PCI card is much more simple then it sounds. It litterally plugs into a slot (like you would slot in a game cartridge in a Megadrive or N64).

6. Addis

Addis The King

To install a PCI card its pretty simple. the basic steps are:
    Always make sure you've grounded electrically, either use an anti-static wristband or touch your case/power supply before you ahdnel electronics
    Open up the case
    find an empty PCI slot
    Take out the empty bracket
    firmly press the card into the slot and make sure theres good contact
    Close the case
    Start PC, use the driver CD to install the drivers for it in windows

7. megamaced

This is very important. I've lost quite a lot of hardware because of ESD. It's best to work on a computer while wearing shoes, and away from carpet.

8. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

I have tested the signal on my Tv downstairs that has Freeview and for the external aerial it is saying that I have a strong signal.

Is there anyway that I can test how good my reception will be upstairs with an indoor aerial without buying one and plugging it into the TV? If I get a bad reception I won't be able to take the aerial back!

Also, if you know any good aerials for indoor use that will optimise reception/ or if you recomend using one in conjuction with a signal booster then could you please post some links.

Cheers all!

9. megamaced

Generally speaking, the higher you are, the better the signal you are likely to get. You will probably find the reception in your room to be better then the reception downstairs. I live in a strong signal area, and all I use is a 'cheap and tacky' indoor ariel for Freeview.

If you are interested in 'powered' ariels, check out some of Philips's indoor ariels.

10. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

do powered aerials get a better reception than normal aerials? or are they just aerials with a booster built in

11. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

also, the nearest transmitter is 7miles away, am i likely to be in a strong signal area

12. megamaced

That's exactly what they are, but the reception they give you is twice as good as a standard ariel.