USB Wireless Adapter and Webcam Conflict?

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Ferrris2, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Ferrris2

Ferrris2 Geek Trainee

I have a usb wireless internet adapter-linksys wusb54g v2

I also have a usb webcam- ezonics ezcam III spca561a

Both devices have the current drivers.

The problem is when i try to run any webcam chat program my computer freezes and i have to restart. The funny thing is if i unplug my usb wireless adapter and plug in my webcam the camera works just fine. So u think its a confict?? Think again... No conflicts show up in device manager or system info tool. i have tried installing and reinstalling drivers programs and hardware. I have tested all the usb ports on my computer and they all work. By-the-way im running usb 2.0 The camera does work i have tested it on another box. Im runnig windows xp pro sp3. I also had the same problem when i had sp2 installed. I checked the bios to see if any problems or devices were disabled with no luck. any help is appreciated thanks.

2. Ferrris2

Ferrris2 Geek Trainee

I have contacted linksys support and explained the probelm they are sending me an email. no eta available i will update with what i find.

3. Ferrris2

Ferrris2 Geek Trainee

Turns out i need a usb hub. everything is working properly now

4. kp

kp Geek Trainee

Why do you have to use a USB hub?
    I have a similar problem with X-10 wireless cameras as well as various other wireless camera set-ups. I can usually get the wireless cams and software to operate smoothly but I ALWAYS lose my wireless internet connection to home router.

So what does the USB hub do that a direct plug into a USB port not do?