which c++ compiler for linux?

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by zeus, Dec 1, 2006.

1. zeus

zeus out of date

Ive been using dev-c++ to compile code in windows but now want to compiile code is linux.

Whats the best to use? I was trying to find Dev-C++ for linux but apparently its not supported anymore.

2. Addis

Addis The King

The best C++ compiler for Linux is g++. It is part of GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection. The main compiler of the system is gcc which is the C compiler.

In the command line, you compile a source file with
    Code:
    g++ main.cpp -o programname
    If you omit the -o its argument, g++ names the program "a.out" which isn't very descriptive.

I'm guessing you need an IDE as well, I suggest using a text editor like Kate which has brilliant syntax highlighting and indentation features.

To set up Kate for best C/C++ coding, try in Settings/Configure Kate:
    • Editing section -> Disable show tabulators
    • Editing section -> Enable "Insert spaces instead of tabulators"
    • Indentation section -> Style as "C Style" and enable "Use spaces instead of tabs"
    • Indentation section -> Number of spaces = 4 (most common IMO) and also enable "Adjust clipboard identation"
    • Indentation section -> Insert indent characters when tab is pressed

Thats just my preferences for C++. If you click the terminal button at the bottom of Kate, you can use the terminal as well as edit the file at the same time.

Few tips:
    F11 shows line numbers
    Tools menu has options for changing the indentation profile and syntax highlighting for one off occasions. If the C style indentation isn't working how you want it (outside of main() for example) then choose Normal indentation until you get inside a function.

3. zeus

zeus out of date

Thanks, I'll try it now.