Which modem please

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by spikelad, Mar 25, 2008.

1. spikelad

spikelad Geek Trainee

Hi guys I have just bought a new computer which has Windows Vista,the modem I have at present is Bt Voyager 105 which is not suitable for Windows Vista.

Can anyone let me know which is the best modem to use I want to load Aol Broadband on to my new computer.

2. Fred

Fred Moderator

Dial-up modems aren't going to differ significantly, but it always helps to go for known brands.

Newegg.com - TRENDnet TFM-PCIV92A 56Kbps PCI Bus (Plug & Play) Modem - Retail

Here's one that should work for you. I'm not sure where you live, so this may not work for you, but if you are outside the US just look on a tech website relevant to your area and make sure it says "Vista compatible".

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

@Fred, i don't think a Voyager 105 is a modem, i think it's a router, but, you know more than me so please correct me if i'm wrong

personally i'd recommend you get a decent branded (non USB) router, personally i recently bought 1 of these & a cheap NIC (network interface card)

i wouldn't get wireless yet - i think it's still too slow, you may not want a VoIP router, however, i'm still not using the new router, but, it is good, otherwise i wouldn't have bought 1

BTW: do you have a budget ?

4. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Fred, I think spikelad wants broadband, and you're linking to a 56k dialup modem...

spikelad, it depends on the type of broadband. You want ADSL? I just briefly looked up the voyager and it says its an adsl modem, so i'm assuming that's the broadband you want. Heh, unfortunately I've never dealt with ADSL myself, or else I'd recommend a D-Link cable modem that I own.

But yeah, you could just look up some computer/electronics retail site for UK, like fred said. You would then just narrow your search to ADSL modems and pick one that is vista compatible.

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no, i think he's already got broadband, but, the ADSL router he has is not compatible with vista, well that's how i understood it

i also think he probably had XP & upgraded his system to a vista machine

6. spikelad

spikelad Geek Trainee

Thanks for the help guys i got a Voyager 190 adsl modem which did the trick.This modem is for Windows Vista.