why does my gmail inbox not update automatically?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by DaRuSsIaMaN, Oct 27, 2007.

1. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

I have two computers, my laptop and my PC. I am now logged into the same gmail account on both of them, and on my latpop it says i have 73 emails whereas my desktop says i have only 72. Why? because when I pull up the gmail window on my desktop, it's not "refreshed" -- an email that arrived recently in my inbox is not shown there yet. But it's right there in my account when I look at it on my other computer, my laptop. Why is this happening? That's so weird. I want it to always update automatically without me having to refresh the page. How is it possible that it does it on one computer but not on the other?? It's a web-based service, after all... how do I get two different results? :mad:

thx

2. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Same happens to me, sometimes I can be sitting logged into gmail and I get a new mail refresh whenever one comes, sometimes I have to manually refresh the page.

My thoughts would be sometimes gmail doesn't communicate fully with the computers at times. It's still in beta after all. ;)

3. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

lol it's been in beta forever-and-a-half ...

4. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Exactly, works as a great scapegoat on their side. ;)

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

GMail uses AJAX extensively for it's services (as do a lot of Google's services) - it may be that the script isn't running properly / communicating with the server.