Windows XP without internet...

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by nerfherder23, Jun 19, 2009.

1. nerfherder23

nerfherder23 Geek Trainee

I have had an nVidia graphics card for the past 2 or 3 years. Just recently I got an XFX Radeon 4850. My dad advised me to remove the nVidia drivers from my PC.

I removed them using the "Add/Remove Programs" option in the Control Panel. Then I found that Windows wouldn't (or couldn't) connect to the internet.

Unfortunately, I don't remember what I deleted. I was a game-deprived gamer caught up in the joy of a newer, more powerful card. :p :doh:
    I do remember deleted the Forceware driver, and something like "NET 2.0" or something. Both items had "nVidia" at the beginning of the name.

Any ideas as to what I deleted, and how to regain it?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Do you have an NVidia chipset on your mobo? If so, you could have accidentally stripped the chipset and network drivers.

3. nerfherder23

Sorry, I'm a newbie with hardware. What's a chipset?

4. Anti-Trend

The chipset refers to the sub-processors on your motherboard. If you post the make and model of your mobo, we can look it up.

5. nerfherder23

Ahhh...As a matter of fact, it does.

I looked it up for you...the "Northbridge" is a GeForce 6150 GPU and the "Southbridge" is an nForce 430 MCP.

How do I fix this, then?

6. Anti-Trend

7. nerfherder23

Thank you very much, the problem has been solved!

I fixed it this morning, and have since beaten Half-Life 2 Episode 2 another time. And I really must say, the new card can do a few things that the other didn't (mostly particle effects and distortions).

8. Anti-Trend

You're welcome, glad to hear you've got it all sorted out. Enjoy your new video card.