3.3V problem Mobo or PSU?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by limey, May 7, 2007.

1. limey

limey Geek Trainee

Hey

I have a low voltage warning on my computer (new build).
    On boot I have h/w error from bios, go into bios the 3.3v is running at 2.48v. Obviously this is a problem. Could it be the motherboard or the psu? Please help!

system:
    case: Raidmax with rx-450k psu (raidmax psu)
    motherboard: asus p5n-e sli
    cpu: e6600 no overclocking (yet)
    hsf: standard
    ram: ocz dr2-800 platinum 2gb
    gfx: evga 7900gs
    hdd: maxtor 300gb sata-300
    optical: dvd burner

Oh, this error wasnt there at first it happeneed about 2 - 3 days after the build. Over the last 2 days the error went away for about 6 hours. System seemed stable but has had the occasional BSoD.

Thx

Limey

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

While you'll want to test the rails with a multimeter to verify, power issues are typically with the power supply. There is an accepted tolerance of 5% in either direction for a rail.

The other thing that you would want to look into is the RAM. A bad PSU can cause trouble, but a bad stick can also give you grief. Get a hold of Memtest86 for CD or floppy and run it for 3-8 hours...it might be ideal to run it while you'r asleep. If you get any errors you may have a bad stick.

3. limey

limey Geek Trainee

Thx for your prompt reply!

Will post results when I can get it done...

4. limey

limey Geek Trainee

Well I made a bootcd with memtest and over an 8 hr period it fdailed 4 timews. I'm going to return it and buy a multimeter when im there to test the psu. thc again for your help.

L