Best O/S for my laptop??

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by thomas234, Jun 17, 2006.

1. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Already tried it, it was horribly slow, and now my disc has gone all funny and no longer works.
    True, I've known loads of people use it sucessfully (including me), and only one or two problems.

Once again I've never known any problems, but I presume there must be. You can check out how secure your browser is here, and in IE it reports no security problems.

2. Addis

Addis The King

Quite the opposite, IE is the most insecure browser still in development. you can't rely on a static browser check. It has many flaws which led to applications making use of the IE ActiveX feature to also become vulnerable (ActiveX itself is a security risk). It's closed source nature and the fact that it is so tightly integrated with the OS makes it even more insecure.

Of course, it also loses the feature battle as well. No tabs in IE6? Firefox & Opera had no competition.

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

To continue using the Windows 9x family in this day and age is just crazy. Above all else, Windows 9x is probably the most insecure family of operating systems ever

4. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

They are a good group, I've used a few of their releases before. To my knowledge they've made a release called TinyXP, it is essentially WinXP but extremely stripped down with only the essentials installed such as networking support, etc. All games such as solitare and things like screen savers have been removed. I was quite impressed with it and suggest you give it a shot if you'd like to stick to XP as the OS.

5. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Continuing Mega.......But if you install this windows and come across with any problem then dont worry HWF is ready to help you. (Doesnt include me, I dont know any shit about it lol :D)

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

According to Secunia, IE6 has a quantity of fairly serious and unpatched bugs right now. You can see to-the-minute current vulnerability reports in our OS & Browser Vulnerability Reports thread.

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

If you are going to try linux in that laptop ,Are you using the internal modem
    OR do you have an external one? Because linux might not be able to setup that modem in your laptop.. You will need an external modem..

8. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

It's a Belking 54g f5d7010 pcmcia card, and I've had it working with ndiswrapper on Slackware before, so in theory it should work again.