card win98 /dos6.22 booting

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Dwarfer, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

hi i have a 2gb card that post "sees" and is available for booting.

however, windows does not allow you to use the "copy system files" when formatting the card, which is gay!

ive downloaded a dos6.22 3x diskette installer but it wont accept the card ( even if it is drive A: ) and simply copying the dos6.22 files onto the card root will not work at all.

is there a way i can sort this out. ive thought about using xcopy to copy all the dos system files but doubt that will work too

thanks

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

What do you mean by 'card'? Can you explain the situation a little more?

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

sorry im a little lame with this thats why i need megahelp :p

its a 2gb compactflash card, i have a card reader and the post screen detects it enabling it to boot... but im having trouble putting working system files onto it to boot

see the card here http://www.bizsyscon.com/pics/COMPACTFLASH.jpg

4. megamaced

And what are you trying to do with this memory card? If I understand you corrently, you want to boot Windows 98 from it?

If that's the case, format the memory card using FAT32. Then you can copy the system files over.

Use this command from within Windows using a command prompt:

Code:
    sys <drive_letter_of_memory_card>
    An example might be:

Code:
    sys e:

5. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

thanks, but thats the thing i dont have sys.com, nor do i have a spare hdd, i need a way to get it to boot by doing it manually here through windows xp. i can get hold of the boot files, but need a way to get them to work when you copy em over

the whole idea is to run old dos games without simulation (virtual PC, dosbox etc) coz u kno wot windows xp is like with dos games

6. megamaced

Hmm, maybe FreeDOS will have something you are looking for

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

right, boot off the first DOS floppy, and before the installation process begins press Ctrl + C (to terminate the execution of the batch file Autoexec.bat) then either use mega's command or format the card with
    Code:
    Format E: /s
    the /s copies the boot info from the drive you booted from, obviously E: is the location
    assigned to your flash card

8. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

thanks for replys

reply to donkey: ive tried using sys from a dos disk but the flash card doesnt show up as a drive letter after the floppy has finished booting. i've used xcopy to copy all the system files from a floppy to another floppy to test it but it did not boot, i take it that booting isnt all down to files

ive run out of options

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

what you need is a DOS driver for your flash mass storage device, i'll try to find you one[ot]you will need to change the Config.sys on the boot disk and maybe the Autoexec.bat[/ot]

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

how is your card reader attached to your system, if USB then use this driver & config.sys & autoexec.bat modifications[ot]this stuff takes some bloody remembering, if you ever get stuck just type "help" at the DOS 6.22 command prompt for a list of DOS commands, but i think qbasic.exe has to be in the same directory as help.com or the directory has to be in your PATH, i can't remember which[/ot]

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

if you like, you could post your DOS 6.22 autoexec.bat & config.sys files here and i'll add / edit them to function with your flash drive

12. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

great work donkey thank you soo much ill have a jolly good look when i get home and ill let you know. ill post the config and autoexec files on here if i experience problems

thanks again!!!!!!! A***************

13. donkey42

donkey42 plank

although you can use FAT (as it is restricted to 2Gb) but i think FAT32 is better - a few people have differing opinions, but the HWF gods say NTFS is the best Microsoft file system, then FAT32 and finally FAT, but DOS cannot read FAT32 natively unlike Win9x or greater

14. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

hey!

well, i managed to get the card working as drive c: without using the drivers, its fat16 (FAT) and i did "sys c:", reset..... and it didnt boot.

looking at it in windows explorer the usual files are there, io.sys, msdos.sys, command.com etc but its not booting.

15. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i don't know, i can't remember enough about DOS, i'll just browse net to help me remember, back soon

16. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

i just tried what you said before, to use "format c: /s" but that also was unsuccessfull, i used the /u command too "unconditional format".

according to fdisk the drive type is "unknown" :dry:

17. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i've had a quick look, but i still think you need a driver, wait a few years ago i created a bootable Win98 CD maybe that will install to the flash drive

BTW: assuming i can find it, do you have a 98 (copy the D:\Win98\*.* to somewhere on your HDD) and a blank CDr and a burner to add a boot sector to the CDr

Edit: i think it on a HDD somewhere

18. donkey42

donkey42 plank

found the 98 bootable CD image (.iso) but the problem is: i was using Win9x when i made it, but i'm now on linux, & i not sure how to recreate a bootable CD in Win9x without throwing Linux into the equation, i will try though, i'll PM you with any updates
    BTW: i think extracted the boot sector from the 98 floppy with WinISO (or something like that) then i think i burned the boot sector from the floppy to a CDr (along with the \Win98 directory)

Edit: just found this, looks interesting

19. megamaced

Dwarfer, you are just serving to confuse me now! :p

Okay, why not first, format a floppy disk and choose 'Copy System Files' or 'Make MS-DOS startup disk'. Then choose show hidden files and system files in the Windows Explorer folder options. Then copy and paste all the files on the floppy disk onto your SD card?

20. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i don't think that will work, (i think you need to copy the boot sector, and copy and paste doesn't)

BTW: right lets look at what we want to achive, and look at it again