Changing cards

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Goliath666, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

i got a lot of catching up to do with new technology. fell out like 2 years ago now i dont know shit bout anything. ughhh.

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

:p, 1 year ago, well less than that, i knew nothing about computers, i even though cpu's were welded to the motherboard about a year ago.

3. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

I'd doubt if his motherboard has any overclocking capabilities cause its a manufactured computer like compaq, hp etc even if its a chipset or board known for oc abilities the manufacture most likely disabled these options, but check anyway you maybe lucky.

good explination willub

4. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

well i have yet to try overclocking my CPU n Ram but i got done over clocking the FX 5200 originally it had 250MHz Core speed not its supposably performing at 290MHz. and the Memory clock frequency from 266MHz to 350MHz i followed to tutorial found on the OverClocking and cooloing section "nVidia Graphics Card Overclocking". i just choose the Detect optimal Frequencies Option. i still have to try to manually add more power to it. thats it so far.

5. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

i tried raising the Core Clock and the Memory frequency by 10 MHz and it failed the test. so i guess thats all it can do. if i was to try to overclock it with RivaTuner. would i be able to get better results.

[EDIT]

this thread now is to be belonging in the Overclocking and cooling section.

6. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Simple answer, no.
    Overclocking capabilites rely on the card and not the software doing it, sadly.

7. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

that aint true man, at least for my case. I just tried to do it with RivaTuner and now my card is running at 310 with 350. before it was 290 with 350. i couldnt power up the memory any more it stayed the same.

8. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

upping the performance by 3 then testing ive been able to boost the core clock speed to 334 MHz and tests failed after 335MHz. thats like 85MHz boost is that good for the Fx5200 128MB. and the memory clock speed is at 348MHz and failed the test at 350

9. Willz

i dont think that card will last long if you keep it overclocked at those settings.

there is no point overclocking it anyway, as it wont make that much of a difference in games.

10. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

if overclocking doesnt do much for games whats the point in OCing anyways then.

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Overclocking does give a few FPS in some games, it's also test just try and see how high you can get the card, but with your particular card I don't think you'd see much of a difference. Although saying that sometimes overclocking high end cards can only give you a few more FPS so the only way to say really is to test it, before OC and after OC.

12. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

ic ic well thanks again.
    does OCing the CPU n ram help on gaming.

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

(Getting a bit off topic here) Yes it does, but for overclocking the RAM value stuff isn't good, for the best overclock you need some decent performance RAM from the likes of Corsair, GeiL or G. Skill. (there are other drands as well)

14. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

oh ok thanks i guess my rams got nothing.
    yea this has been off topics since the end of page one but its helpin me decide whether i should just go n actually but a half decent card.

15. Willz

It does give increases in games, just not with all cards, especially a FX 5200 that doesent do good in games allready!