Computer Start-up Problems, Too much for my psu?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Mike B, Aug 13, 2006.

1. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Contrary to what you are saying many PSUs are built for more than just powering the system. PSUs are also built to exhaust heat form the case. While yes, of course, a blowhole on top would be good, the PSU would still exhaust. They are designed to do this. If they weren't then they would intake air from the back of the case and exhaust it through a hole in the top of the case.

2. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

yeh but dats wat a 120mm fan at the back of the case is for. i only have and exaust fan on the psu (jus 1 80mm) and the ones wich have a 120mm fan at the bottom loke the psu willz has, are the ones that are supposed to exaust air out really, becoz there isnt really that much space fo rthe air to go into the psu from the back where the grills are

3. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Well, PSU's should still be quiet obviously, why not, stick 3 fans in them, its not impossible, have 1 on back, 1 underneath, 1 on top, on the back air is sucked in, under, air is sucked in, top air is sucked out.

4. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Hmm, that is a pretty good idea. The top fan would have to be 120 MM yo get all that air out with some hint of silence. I would say the main reason this isn't being done is that it would require all cases to be redesigned. That won't happen until an all new PSU and motherboard form-factor comes out. At that point coling like that might happen, but it might not. Also, you could do a case mod but people generally shy away from PSU modding for good reason, it can kill you.

Hmm, this is a little off topic, but I wonder how long it will be until we see a water cooled PSU (if there isn't one already).

5. Willz

they should of though about it when they were designed BTX cases and form factor.

6. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, but at this point I don't think cooling is at the top of the computer industry's to-do list. BTX was just a band-aid to keep the Pressys cool until they could release a new processor line (Core 2). Besides, BTX motherboards are the fit into ATX cases, so it wasn't really a full redesign. It will probably be a while before the industry gets the guts to redesign every case on the market.

7. Willz

I thought i seen somewere once about BTX, new mobo design, new case, infact somewere i seen, the cpu skt was right near the back of the case with some sort of ducting on, and other stuff was in different places, i want to make a case thats got good cooling but looks good, is it possible to build cases outa wood?

8. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yes, it is, infact it is fairly common. You could, however, go to a metalworking shop that can fabricate pretty much anything you want. they could make the case exterior and you would do all the hard work.

9. rimmer

rimmer Geek

im a n00b on PSu's but i HEARD that modular PSu's are to be avoided, is this true?

10. Willz

Nooooooo, especially not from a decent company, decent company use high quality meterial for the connectors and make sure there as efficiant as possible, if you've seen a modular psu you want, get it, no need to avoid them :)