External Drive not recognized in 'My Computer'

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by anais4uk, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Try [link=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881]this[/link]. Its for a folder actually but see if it works with the Drives as well.. good luck

2. anais4uk

anais4uk Geek Trainee

You are a genius.....thank you so much it appears to have worked I have now got access to the files too. I will see if it still works tomorrow and will update this thread later.

Thank you once again your help is much appreciated. :D

3. Karanislove

You are welcome...Glad everything sorted..... hv a good night!

4. anais4uk

anais4uk Geek Trainee

Just a quick update.........things are looking down again. This morning logged onto my computer and the same things are happening again. The external drive is not listed in 'My Computer' again!! Still it is in Device manager so again I try to uninstall it but device manager has stopped responding and I had to end the program. This happened on a couple of occassions. I guess I will just have to fiddle around as it has got to be something and nothing due to it all working fine late last night. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help.

TIA

5. NeloForster

NeloForster Source of Exyphetadolamin

Was there ever a time when your external hdd DID work? Try a system restore to that date? start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore

6. anais4uk

anais4uk Geek Trainee

When I first got this HDD in 2005 it had it worked ok until one day I could not access any of my files. I did a full format and took away the casing only to find a loose wire. Once it was fixed everything worked great....then I put the HDD away and have not used it for quite some time, when I got it out last week it was working fine. A few weeks ago I got a virus on my computer and I had to make a new restore point, this was before I had started to use the external HDD again so I think maybe a system restore would not work in this case.

The only way I can get it to be recognized in 'My Computer' is to keep uninstalling and reinstalling the HDD from within device manager. It does not work everytime but if I persevere doing this the HDD will eventually show up in 'My Computer' but I never know how long it will last in there as it just disconnects itself for no reason and again dissapears. I haven't a clue what is going on here has anyone any idea please?

7. NeloForster

Could it be that your CMOS battery is faulty/depleted and making the complementary metal oxide semiconductor
    (I just had to say it haha) forget that the HDD is there? What do you think Karanislove?

Mike

8. anais4uk

anais4uk Geek Trainee

Ah at last I found what has been causing all the errors etc......I have messed around with it all day racking my brain.....and then....I moved the usb wire which connects the HDD to the usb port and it seems to have a loose connection at the HDD end. The slightest move triggers it off. So looks like this is the problem because when I moved it it connected itself and when I touched it again it disconnected.

So I guess I will mark this thread solved and thanks to all who helped me out here, it is much appreciated. :)

9. Karanislove

Sounds logical but still I think that battery is just to recognise the BIOS options.. :eek:hah: What do u say??

Can you try it on any other PC?? Like in a Cyber Cafe or at friends computer or if u got a laptop... That might give an idea whether its ur computer or that externel Drive... ;)

10. NeloForster

Oh it got solved... To hell with my original post then haha... Always the wires and connections man... Always...

Happy computing :)

Mike

11. Karanislove

oops! i dont know when he postd that thread :confused:... Anyways, Glad things sorted out for you:good:.