laptop issue

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by athomas, Dec 21, 2005.

1. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

Does anybody know how to open an IBM thinkpad 770? for some reason my monitor wont turn on and my hdd wont turn on. all i hear is the cooling fan inside it. Not quite sure what's wrong so i want to open it up. i tried unscrewing everything, removing the RAM cover but nothing comes off. help!!!

2. Tracekill

Tracekill Geek Trainee

Opening the laptop will compeltely void the warranty. Give me your information and I will email my tech guy at IBM.

3. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

that laptop is way old so warranty is most likely expired. What info do you need?

4. Tracekill

Tracekill Geek Trainee

Model number and make. A detailed description of the problem and everything you have tried.

5. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

IMB Thinkpad 770, will power on, however hard drive and monitor remain off. All that turns on is the cooling fan inside. I can't really try anything since I don't know what's wrong. lol

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

What were you doing when the laptop 'died'?

It's difficult to know what the problem is with the information you are providing. Does your laptop emit any beep codes, does it beep at all?

If you decide to take it apart, your best bet is to refer to the original manufacturer's manual. Do a search for 'Thinkpad 770 manaul' or 'Thinkpad 700 pdf manual' on Yahoo, and see what you can find.

7. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

I was defragging and it froze. i shut it off and turned it back on, nothing happened. nothing beeps, as i said the only thing that I see powered is the fan

8. Groundrush

Groundrush Geek Trainee

Not an expert but I think your motherboard is the cause

I recently had the same problem and thought it was a hard drive issue but I was able to remove my hardrive from the laptop and retrieve the data

so I recon it must have something to do with the motherboard:confused: