Login to the server with an ip address not assigned to it ?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by zillah, Oct 9, 2009.

1. zillah

zillah Geek Trainee

I have been assigned to maintain a network for an office (previous network admin is not there) .

And I have got this scenario , Snap Gear SG300 with a LAN ip address 192.168.0.1, and it is a DHCP server for the PCs on the LAN , and its WAN port ip address is 192.168.1.2

SG 300 WNA port is connected to a LAN port of a netgear ADSL modem router (DG 834 V3) 192.168.1.1
    As you can see in the snap shot below :

[​IMG]

Imageshack - ipaddressforlanandwan

Server 2003 has one Ethernet card (not two , for sure) , with a static ip address 192.168.0.50 as you can see in the snap shot below

[​IMG]

http://img34.imageshack.us/i/serveripaddressstatic.jpg

When I use “Remote Desk Application form any client PC, I can login to the server by using any of these ip addresses :

192.168.0.50,,,,,that is fine no confusion

192.168.1.2,,,,,,my confusion with this ip address it is for the SG 300 WAN port not for the server 2003!!!!

My second question Since we have two different subnets ,,,,and since NAT is done through SG300,,,,I just want to confirm below
    Netgear ADSL modem router (DG 834 V3) with an ip address 192.168.1.1,,,,,They do not what is the password for it ,,,,,,If I reset it , would that delete any RIP or NAT configuration that might have been configured (I believe not ),,,,could someone correct me if I am wrong ?

[​IMG]

Imageshack - natportforwarding

2. macbeton

macbeton Guest

You are being paid for things you don't understand :)
    There is no easy way how to tell you what to do in two sentences.

3. zillah

zillah Geek Trainee

I just want to verify what do u mean ?

4. macbeton

macbeton Guest

You said: "I have been assigned to maintain a network for an office"
    So I can assume you get paid for it?
    I would get rid of the snapgear and use the netgear ADSL, or maybe configure the ADSL in bridge mode and use the snap gear. Anyhow using such double NAT is not serious.
    Can you get the DSL parameters from your ISP? In any way possible, even if required action is sleeping with a chick from ISPs helpdesk :)