lost noob...who'd of guessed it.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jwbright1, Nov 2, 2010.

1. jwbright1

jwbright1 Geek Trainee

i jst started a degree for computer tech ive jst not got around to the pc repair class yet. a month ago i decided to build a computer for my inlaws kids to have. i went very cheap. i got an asus mobo kit w/cpu andvid card. i got it all assembled and everything and it all powers on but i get no video whatso ever. ive tryed 2 monitors and 2 vga cables. (monitors work and vga, tested it w/my laptop.)

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

Are you using a separate graphics card, or is it integrated into the motherboard? You might need to connect the card to the power supply. What's the brand and type of the graphics card?

3. jwbright1

jwbright1 Geek Trainee

its a radeon 7000 its not integrated and theres no were to plug it in with power. i actually did try a different graphics card and got the same result

4. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

How did you test your VGA with your laptop?

5. jwbright1

jwbright1 Geek Trainee

my laptops got the vga output evn tho its newer and SHOULD have hdmi its got vga

6. henry222

henry222 Geek

Why not take into college as a "test"?
    I+ wonder if you need to configure the BIOS - does the Operator Manual not suggest how the Graphics is assigned?
    I presume all the other function are "as expected", but no graphics is kinda fundamental. Low-spec graphics take their power from the mbd - but fancy ones usually wire direct to the PSU.
    OR
    go back to the shop, you may have a wrongly matched set of bits.......

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Here's what I would do first, if you haven't already:

Start with the following:
    -Motherboard
    -CPU & CPU heatsink
    -1 stick of RAM in first DIMM slot
    -Video card (unless the motherboard sports integrated graphics, in which case leave the Radeon out for the time being)
    -Power supply

Set the motherboard on a non-conductive surface (I favor the motherboard box, but anything non-metallic or wet will do the trick. This way, if there's a short in the case, it won't interfere.
    Install the CPU and it's heatsink, making sure the fan is plugged into the CPU fan header. In some cases, the system will not boot if there's no fan RPM detected from the CPU fan header.
    Install the video card IF there's no on-board solution.
    Clear CMOS. If you can't find the jumper, pull the battery out for a few minutes and reinstall.
    Plug in the power supply to the motherboard, ensuring all connections to the board are plugged in.

Use a flat-headed screwdriver to short the power switch jumper (consult the manual for which set of pins) and the system should power on.

This is a minimal configuration to help narrow down the cause.

If that powers up without issue, begin the physical installation of add-on cards, one at a time.