Multiple HDD

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by daz, Jan 3, 2011.

1. daz

daz Geek

I have been wondering, having multiple HDDs on you PC. is it wise to have only one HDD for operating system. Then rest of the software and games on the other one. I have been concern that access time and speed may be compromise on in this case.

What is you opinion on this matter.

Regards
    Daz

2. Karimbo

Karimbo Geek

Opinion differens on who you ask.

I personally have all my windows and small software on my 'OS drive' and keep large software, documents, storage stuff like downloads on a secondary drive.

Bascally I expect the windows drive to get blown out quicker than my storage drives, so I keep the stuff seperate, the storage drives are bigger 2TB, and the windows + software drive is small, 160GB. I tend to replace the windows drive every 2 years or so.

What tends to happen with me is that my old storage drive becomes the new windows drive, and then I but a new storage drive with 2-3x capacity of the windows drive.. as Storage needs grow exponentially.

3. gibsswron

gibsswron Geek Trainee

Hard drives are getting bigger, and adding more storage to your PC can make editing video much faster. Maintaining multiple hard drives for a single PNA. There are a number of good reasons to have multiple hard drives and only a few have something to do with more storage space.I have two drives in my main computer: an 80 gig and a 200 gig.

4. Sophia Christchurch

Sophia Christchurch Geek Trainee

The more storage you have the faster that makes your PC functionality because the drive assigned to your operating system is not full and has lot of storage space available...

5. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

It is reasonable to use a whole HDD just for OS, but if you have like 1TB of HDD and your just gonna use it for OS, then that is unreasonable. If you feel your HDD is too big just for OS, you can partition it to different sizes, 1 Physical HDD, 2 Drives shown in My Computer.
    The relative amount of free space available in your Drive that has the OS is important, having too low of available disk space does slow down the computer (reaction time/reading time). But the "time and speed" of the HDD is limited to its specifications, especially cause it's an HDD, other than that, you can try a single SSD maybe 60Gb/120Gb/240Gb just for OS and some main programs that you need. It will definitely by 100% increase your loading times speed.