NEED HELP! Big problem after installing wireless card

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by sakic19, Nov 4, 2008.

1. sakic19

sakic19 Geek Trainee

Hi,

I'm somewhat new to doing computer hardware, but not a complete noob.

I installed a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless N card on my computer (just got it yesterday, I beleive its an HP, but I know its 2.66 Ghz processor, 1 GB RAM, Win XP Professional SP2 2002).

Anyways installing the drivers was hell, but it works great now - internets fast even with a wireless g router.

The problem is that after installing I rebooted (with the original ethernet card) and it would not boot. It gave me an error message saying "PXE-E61" then something about not being plugged in or something. I looked into it a bit and heard sometimes this means the computer is trying to boot from a network card. So I unplugged the ethernet card as I don't need it and it booted up perfectly. But then out of nowhere as I was using it, it restarted it self, and would not boot again (tried many times).

I took out the wireless card, and it started up fine. I shut it back down, put the card back in and it booted fine. But then it restarted itself again, and would not boot.

Sometimes when it does not boot it gives me a screen saying that some configurations have been changed, and I can press F1 to save them (which sometimes continues the boot and everything is happy...sometimes). With my limited computer knowledge I think it is showing me my boot sequence, I have 2 hard drives, and when it shows the C: (one with XP installed) it seems to work fine.

So basically why is it changing my boot source, and why is it restarting itself. Is there any way I can get it to lock down C: as boot source??

Sorry for writing a book, wanted to give as much info as possible.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, I'd make sure your CMOS battery is good; if it's losing your settings, you'll have a very inconvenient time of it. Once you've got that handled, you should be able to disable PXE booting in the BIOS. It's really only used on corporate networks, so it's definitely recommended to disable it on a home PC.