Noisy networking

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by sam1975sam, Feb 8, 2005.

1. sam1975sam

sam1975sam Geek Trainee

Hi
    I have a Compaq Presario 1277 and an 802.11b wireless pcmcia card. I can get my laptop to network with my router and maintain a quite stable connection but unfortunately while this is happening I get an annoying clicking noise which does not help my studying. I did wonder if this noise was interference from the wireless card and if my laptop was missing some crucial sheilding from the speakers (as it is quite old).

If anyone has any ideas on this one I would really appreciate some help 'cos it's driving me mad! A 20ft network cable trailing through the house is not a very safe option but does keep the niose down lol

Thanks in advance

Sam

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Hmmm...that's a new one. I suppose you could try putting some barrier up, but that's provided it is the wireless NIC and the speaker. Without being there, I couldn't say. I usually associate clicking with a hard drive (particularly an IBM unit) that's about to croak.

sam1975sam likes this.
  3. sam1975sam

sam1975sam Geek Trainee

I don't think it is the hard drive because I only get the noise when the wireless card is in and it made the same noise with my old hard drive (which was replaced because of space rather than death). The noise sounds like a geiger counter. :eek: