Pioneer DVR-112D clicking sounds on playback

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by peachsnowfalling, Jan 4, 2008.

1. peachsnowfalling

peachsnowfalling Geek Trainee

It's hard to sum up my issues in one title. Anyway, I've got a Pioneer DVR-112D which generally works fine, only a few issues seem to spring up on a regular basis. For one, Exact Audio Copy won't even recognize the drive. My hardware manager says it's installed fine, I can view files on DVDs and CDs in Windows Explorer, and write to it (though again, some programs don't recognize it).

This isn't a big problem compared to my other one. Basically, if I try to load a DVD or CD and play audio or video from the drive, I get constant clicking sounds in my speakers. This is with media I know is clean. It seems the only way to avoid this is ripping the material so it's not streaming from the CD or DVD but directly from the computer. But that presents other problems. Whenever I go through the process of ripping a CD or DVD, I get the same clicking sounds and the mouse cursor moves very sporadically while general responsiveness of my system also suffers. And this is with a new system with a dual core processor, 4 GB of ram, etc.!

Does anyone know if it could possibly be a firmware issue? I kept trying to update the firmware with the utility telling me it couldn't find the device. Then I read somewhere that the drive should be on its own IDE cable. Right now I've got it sharing one with my hard drive, since they're both IDE connectors and my motherboard has only one IDE slot, with 5 SATAs. I figured I'd just live with the Exact Audio Copy thing, but it's beyond inconvenient I can't even watch a movie or listen to music on my 5.1 stereo speakers!

As a last comment, I've used the drive on another system and it worked fine; no playback or clicking issues whatsoever. Which is why I'm basically asking if it could be a problem to have it on the same IDE cable as my hard drive.

Any help duly appreciated,

Gray