PSU Fan Not Spinning?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Curtis Coburn, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Curtis Coburn

Curtis Coburn Geek Trainee

I recently built a new computer, and have the Corsair TX650M PSU. When I checked my system today by opening the case when the computer is on, I noticed that the fan was not spinning on the PSU. It's nothing too serious, I don't notice any sounds that are bad, or performance issues; but I was wondering if this is something I should worry about. I heard somewhere else that sometimes the fans will not kick in until they reach a certain temperature then they will start spinning, and other stories how the PSU may be shot. I'm not sure. Let me know your opinion so I know what to further do.
    Thanks for helping.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Does the fan come on when you first turn on the computer ? The fan at the rear of the computer should be on ALL the time...Unless it has a heat regular built into it.
    But all the ones I have worked on, the fan is always on...Does it come on at all ?

3. Curtis Coburn

Curtis Coburn Geek Trainee

Yes, as soon as I turn on the computer the PSU fan is on, but after about 15 seconds, it stops. I think this is how it was intended to be made, I read the specs about the PSU on Corsair's website, and they say that the fan spins only when it is hot enough and when it need to, or something like that. Being that I have 5 fans, one being the water cooler on my computer, and am running a very lightweight distribution of Linux on here, the computer has never blown out any sort of warm air. My brother says that my computer is an air conditioner. So, I think this is suppose to be like this. What do you think?

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

There should be a section under your Bio's for the fan speed or fan settings.. Yea! some CPU fans will turn off and on..