rounded cables

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by IGDIABLO, Dec 3, 2003.

1. IGDIABLO

IGDIABLO Geek Trainee

what do you think of rounded cables, i think there shit to be honest, they dont do anything, they look nice, thats about it,

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, they allow for better airflow. I have rounded cables, but I did it myself. I like them because I'm a stickler for a tidy interior, and rounded cables can help here. On the other hand, I've seen some pretty creative routing on ribbon cables.

3. misunoko

misunoko Geek Trainee

lol i just duck taped all my ribbon cables to make em round and i do agree that they do increase airflow and i have a transperent side panel so i like it all to look neat check out some of my mod pictures here www.misunoko.com/case

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Rounded cables make systems much easier to work on, improve airflow, and offer tidyness appeal. They're all-around better, and less prone to kinking damage than ribbon-cables because they're thicker. If you can get rounded cables for a few bucks more than regular 80-conductor ribbon cables, I say go for it. Sure beats modding cables yourself. :sick:

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Yeah but the thing is that regular IDE cables come with motherboards and some drives so if you wanna' get rounded cables, you have to add it to your expenses.

This is personnally the last thing I would look at in a system. There are ways to avoid those cables to block the airflow.

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, I've sure modded my share of cables, and built my share of systems, for that matter. :) Personally, nothing beats a tidy system when you have to do a little maintenance, or even just dust the thing out. Besides, it's not that hard, troublesome or expensive to just make or buy rounded cables. Of course, this is pretty much moot since the standardization of SATA. :D Thank God for that!

7. misunoko

misunoko Geek Trainee

meh SATA not such a bigshot in my eyes but about the buying the the rounded cvables at your own expence new mother bourds are come with rounded cables so soon then will be no need for ribbon cables in new systems :D

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I have all my drives on their own channels, but that's just because I'm picky about that sorta thing. With 2 of the 5 boxes I have SATA ready, if I lose one of my IDE drives I have, I'll get SATA then.

9. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I know that chaintech gives round cables with their Zenith package. I also think you get some with the IC7-MAX3 from Abit but I'm not sure.

10. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Ribbons block airflow and just develope like, a pocket of air around them. round cables let the air flow around it instead of blocking. maintenaince for me is abig factor since i usually am screwing around with one thing or another. round cables do kink less. true. they are harder to cut (if they get caught in case dorr thingy)
    and they just look hella better than the old grey ribbons.

11. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I think there quite good, better air flow and also make it easier to work around the system! not forgeting look much better!