Scaleo P PSU

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by massec, Apr 9, 2008.

1. massec

massec Geek Trainee

I am looking at getting a Geforce 8800GT to upgrade my pc. I have a feeling my psu isn't up to it though as up till now my graphics card has been a radeon x1550.

Can anyone suggest a decent reliable psu that is between £25-£40?

edit: This is the same as my pc(A1) Fujitsu Scaleo P Desktop PC - Pentium Dual Core on eBay, also, Desktop PCs, Computing (end time 04-May-08 14:03:52 BST)
    so it seems to be a 350 Watt.

And EVGA say "Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 22 Amp Amps.)." But several people have recomended lower psus.

cheers
    masssec:) (Now quite confused)

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, unless it's a very, very good PSU, I would think that 350W is probably not going to cut it. While wattage isn't quite what you want to focus on, it's +12V rail is very likely not up to snuff. Additionall, the Pentium D is designed off the power hungry NetBurst Architecture, so it's going to be hungry for the +12V as well.

I'd look into a 500W-600W unit from the following companies: Corsair, FSP, OCZ, Antec (the TruePower, Quattro, or EarthWatts lines), Thermaltake, Seasonic, Silverstone, CoolerMaster.

Avoid: Apevia (formerly Aspire), Powmax, Demon, Qtec/Q-tech.

A good PSU is not something you want to skimp on, and you do get what you pay for. Realistically, you'll looking at around $80-100 USD for a decent unit, rebates not included. To be honest, I don't think you're going to find a PSU you want to put in your box for that cheap. I'm not able to find something that cheap that I would recommend trying to run your proposed upgrade with.

However, I will recommend a few units.
    Corsair VX450 £52.01
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 470 £52.01

3. massec

massec Geek Trainee

Thanks for the advice, i will probably go for the VX550 £55.21

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

No problem, have fun with your new upgrades.