THE Power Supply Sticky

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Big B, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

I want to just add something. i just had an OCZ unit fail for no real reason, but it was a 2 years old. Anyways, their RMA set-up is vveerryyy odd. Actually, before i get into that, i just had a coolmax unit fail, a couple days after my OCZ unit, and their RMA process is really nice, you don't even have to send them the broken unit back, and it was a 3 year warranty. Anyways, OCZ has these trouble ticket things, every time you want to get a hold of them, you HAVE to make a trouble ticket, fill out a form every time, and reference back to whatever your dealing with. It basically makes it impossible to keep track of anything, and makes the whole process REALLY confusing. On a final note, they didn't send me back the same unit that i purchased, nor did they let me know they weren't, wouldn't have been a problem, but i have a P180 case, so i need a threw fan design, not one that pulls air in from the top/bottom of the PSU. Now they are not responding back to me.... Sweeett.

2. Anthony Frazer

Anthony Frazer Geek Trainee

I'm just curious, if my mother board has a 24 pin power connector, will a power supply that is 20+4 pin work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657 50001333&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=58|17-171-055^17-171-055-TS,17-171-056^17-171-056-TS,17-171-063^17-171-063-TS

these are the 3 power supplys im looking at currently. the biggest one, ony has complaints about the noise which isnt a big deal for me.

this is the mother board im rocking
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131735

3. Nice post!..It should be great if there is a beginner of sticky message on the power supply. If the top section is got the point then it is also be great.The power supplies and double sided sticky tape are a bit heavy.so please do be careful and use something very sticky to mount your power.I think this is important to use some sticky with a bit ofbracket face and usually your surface.Usually I use this double sided sticky for tape strips with great success.But I have also used for some temporary periods.

4. Jessamy

Jessamy Geek Trainee

---------------------
    An adequite power supply system is essential there is no such thing as too big as your system will only draw from the power supply what it requires.
    Look at it this way, you have a fast flowing water tap that will fill a bath very quickly but if you only require a glassfull you would turn the tap down .
    .Tthis is exactly what happens with a power supply if output exceeds supply then demand suffers.
    If you have adequite supply to meet eventual demand even if your system grows then the power supply will cope.
    I hope the above analogy helps with your enqury

5. Jessamy

Jessamy Geek Trainee

-------------------
    It is only a 300 Watt psu, but the good news is that it is a standard ATX power supply and so you can easily put a 500 - 600 Watt psu into your computer. You should note that this is the older MOLEX adpater power supply - the MOLEX is the 5 pin adapter you plug into your hard disk, for example. So whatever supply you do buy, make sure it has MOLEX connectors. Since the referenced power supply above has a 20+4 pin MAINS connector (in the picture, below the box, are pictures of the connectors, the 20+4 is the furthest to the left and the IDE4Pins connector is the MOLEX type I am talkng about. In this model, they ahve both MOLEX and SATA connectors, so you may have either kind of hard disk in your computer