USR 9003 ADSL Modem/ Router Help Needed

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by skribla, Apr 30, 2006.

1. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

ok cheers. Is all it says in my hard copy of the manual - the same as the quick guide is "Console: Connects an RS - 232 cable (not included) to the router so that you can communicate with the router through the Terminal User Interface (TUI) instead of the Web User Interface (WUI)."

That's all it says about it. Nothing else or any other information on how I would config the router like that.

Thanks anyways

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

TUI is for advanced configuration & troubleshooting (by the manufacturer) and is not required for standard instalation, do you have working microfilters on every device plugged into a telephone socket (on the ADSL line) are you using the USB connection or ethernet connection ? if your using both try disconnecting the USB connection (cos the router doesn't require both) then remove the ethernet adapter in control panel, device manager then reboot, you should be able to access the config now when the login page comes up enter "root" & "12345" enter your ISP username and password and other stuff, after reinstalling your network adapter driver, another thing you need to find out from you ISP is: do they provide Static or Dynamic IP addresses

hi skribla, i presume your problem is sorted (probably by your ISP)

3. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

thanks, the problem is still carrying on. I tried ringing my ISP tech support yesterday but was on hold for over an hour before I gave up!!!

I rang up USR and they said that several people had logged the issue yesterday and they were all using F2S as their ISP. The bloke said that it had been escalated given the severity and that it could take up to a week to rectify if they have to write new firmware.

Thing is I still don't understand why my router would let me access the internet one day and then the not when I have put the new firmware on it. Also, I still don't understand how even after reseting the router It does not allow me to go into the easy configuartion menu to change my ISP settings (even though at the moment I don't need to - if I can't get my router to connect to the internet, and after trying to do a ping test it returned as an error I don't see if there is anyway how I will be able to upgrade the new firmware if they write some???)

Any thoughts?

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

its probably your network settings on your pc, i dont know that much about networking, but what the hell, i'll give it a go if your want, or ask 1 of the other guys
    what do you think, shall we give it a go ?

if yes, what is your O/S

5. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

My OS is Windows ME. I don't think it is my network settings - I took the router out of this computer and installed it in my other one (windows XP) it didn't work on that one either.

Some I'm not sure what it might be. I will ring up my ISP (if I can get through) tomorrow - I will ask them, but if you have any suggestions then please let me know.

6. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

Hi: This is the page I have found for my ISP: http://www.freedom2surf.net/help/adsltechfaq.php >>> Click My ADSL Modem Will not syncronize.

I have tried all of the options in that - do you know what it might be, it says that there could be a problem with my connection but I am still able to use my phone - also my ISP is an 0870 number and when being stuck on hold for more than an hour the other day I don't really want to have to ring them again!

cheers

7. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

This might be at a slight tangent to the current topic, but if you have continued problems with this router i would suggest you buy another one!

In the UK, you can get a "all in one" box for about £60, i got a Linksys WAG54G that is a:-

4 port switch
    wireless access point
    ADSL modem
    Firewall + NAT

and also has basic access controll (to the internet, you can select what machines can access at days/times and also MAC filtering on the Wireless).

Just a thought.
    [ot]
    Also, you can get 8Mbit broadband [40 GB limit] + line rental + calling plan for £22 month with TalkTalk... Might save you a bit a month (as it includes calls and line rental)
    [/ot]

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i'll have to agree with "imp"
    buy or borrow a different router, at least until F2S get the problem sorted, cos apparently a lot of users of F2S are having problems with that router, but yeah i'd probably try using a different router

9. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

ok thing is - where do I get a different one from?

I don't know if it is just my connection or if it is F2S that have mucked things up - either way I can't get hold of my ISP and they aren't emailing back

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i personally would take a look www.linksys.com but make sure it will work in the UK, because it could take a while F2S or USR to sort out the problem, and yes the problem is with your USR router and FS2 so i presume a different router will work, try borrowing 1 to test it.

11. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

hmm that may be difficult as I don't know anyone that would give me one to test. So is the problem both with USR and F2S?

Also, you mention above that lots of people have been having problems with F2S lately, have people mentioned the same problems that I have - that their router will not syncronise.

Cheers

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well, if you try a different router and it works - all good
    basically i think the problem is with F2S and your USR (get a Linksys WAG54G (like IMP suggested)