VMware Server for FREE!!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by megamaced, Jul 14, 2006.

1. donkey42

donkey42 plank

hi yall, right tried to use VMware on mandriva, installed no problem but errors when run
    ran:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/vmware-config-server-console.pl
    first to configure it

then tried to run it, but got these errors (after about 10 secs, first 644 error, then about anoth 10 secs before second 644 error, then [root@localhost dave]# reapeared)

Code:
    [root@localhost dave]# vmware-server-console
    libhal.c 644 : Error connecting to system bus: No reply within specified time
    libhal.c 644 : Error connecting to system bus: No reply within specified time
    [root@localhost dave]# 

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Did you install the rpm or tar archive?

I could tell you how to do it on Ubuntu, but Mandriva is different.

I had to download my Linux Kernel headers first, so VMware could compile.

I tried searching the net for you, but could only find Ubuntu tutorials. Not sure if it will help,

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

rpm
    i thought
    Code:
    /usr/bin/vmware-config-server-console.pl
    compiled it / or prepared VMware for use

will try dowloading rpm again

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

right got this message while running:
    Code:
    vmware-config.pl
    If you do have "inetd" or "xinetd" installed, make sure that /etc/inetd.conf or
    /etc/xinetd.d exists.
    (BTW xinetd.d, directory exists) i downloaded xinetd 2.3.14, then tried to extract ¨xinetd-2.3.14.tar.gz¨, ARK log attached, think download is corrupted, where else can i download xinetd cos the only one i can find is:
    Code:
    http://www.xinetd.org/xinetd-2.3.14.tar.gz
    of if anyone has any suggestions, i´ll listen.

BTW ARK error log renamed from xinetd-2.3.14.zip extract error to xine-2.3.14.zip (to allow attachment)

Attached Files:

5. megamaced

You will have to download your Linux headers as well. Search for it in your Mandriva repositories. Try searching for Linux source as well

Also try downloading the tar archive of VMware, that's what I used to install.

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i´ve foud out what the problem is, i´m the problem, i´m thick when it come to linux, being using it for a few month now and, i still dont know how to install stuff
    tried
    Code:
    ./install.sh, tar xzf <tar file>.tar.gz, but it seems to work if i download rpm and dbl click it
    thinking or giving it up as a bad job,
    unless somone can help and put up with me being thick help!!!

Edit: i don´t even know what repositories are, presume when i used add-repos they somehow update themselves

7. megamaced

[ot]This is probably not what you want to hear, but I really think you should consider a switch to (K)ubuntu or Debian

Honestly, they are much, much better distributions then Mandriva. The repositories and better and APT is a great tool. Not only that, but there are tons of helpful guides (like the one I gave you earlier) for (K)ubuntu and Debian.

Hell, not even AT uses Mandriva anymore, and that's saying something :)[/ot]

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

[ot]
    thanks man, doesn´t ubuntu need a lot of RAM though, cos i´ve only got 256Mb DDR ?

what do you think of FC5, Addis doesn´t think too much of it ?[/ot]

9. megamaced

[ot]
    You would be better off with Kubuntu rather then Ubuntu. Kubuntu uses KDE, like Mandriva, so it's pretty much the same except Kubuntu uses a newer KDE.

Click the Kubuntu logo in my sig, that will take you to their website where you can download it. You should choose the 'Desktop Install CD'.

Never used it before[/ot]