Wireless bridging problem

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Night_Wolf, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Geek Trainee

Hi guys, here is the problem I have...

My neighbor has cable modem connected with his wireless router (TP-LINK TL-WR740N).

I also have that router on my PC and also I just got TP-LINK TL-WN321G wireless USB adapter.
    I plugged in that wireless USB adapter and signal is very weak, speed is very poor, sometimes it won't even open web pages. I'll try to change wireless channel at my neighbor to see if it helps. (there is 3 walls between us; 2 rooms; and I can't move my PC)

I tried to search on web on how to use my router as a wireless bridge but couldn't find any specific guide, it all seams very complicated.

Do you think if I use my router as a bridge, will my signal be better? I suppose it will because of the antenna.
    If someone can provide me some info on how to do wireless bridging with my router, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks!

2. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

I have that wireless adapter. Got a fluctuating 4 to 5 bars of signal, 1 wall separating the room between mine and my neighbor. I suggest you buy a better wireless adapter, that one caps at 54 mbps, and can't support wireless n signals.

Some solutions I did: Bought 1.5 meter usb cable, then place the adapter on my window outside, then made myself a Cantenna, you can google it; i made mine out of a big can of milk and that boosted my signal from fluctuating 3 to 4 signal bar to a fluctuating 4 to 5 signal bar at fluctuating speed of 48 mbps and 54 mbps.

You can also add a repeater if your neighbor will allow it.

Thanks,