HIS X700 Pro

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Matt555, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

and which is the good card you are speaking about, the X800XT PE?

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

well, obviously the x800xt pe is a good card, buy your not going to get that in a million years, becouse you dont want it, so the x800gt is a good card, better than 6600gt, and benchmarks proove it too, its better in doom 3, half life 2, far cry, on max settings the x800gt gets like 25-40 fps :eek:

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

do you know anywhere i can get the X800GT then? And somewhere where it is around £100...

4. Willz

oh :\, it appears they only are for PCI-E, thats a little stupid as there budget cards :s

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

thought as much, i've been searching for them...heh, well its still between the X700 Pro and the 6600GT, i may have been swayed as i seen that the 660GT is a better card...we'll see though (and remember this is still a maybe, its not for certain i wanted your thoughts on whether it was worth it)

6. kool_azn

kool_azn Geek Trainee

heres a quick answer:GET THE 6600GT
    (its soooooooooo worth it, smokes the X700)

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Put it this way, the X700 is cheaper, you like the cooler, HIS is a very trusted brand, you're only looking for something that will allow you to improve your performance in online games by a decent margin, not blow it out of the water so anything you get will seem craziliy fast. You won't know what you're missing so don't worry about missing a bit of performance from the 6600GT as it isn't that bid a deal.
    Ah ha! I knew the X800GT was only PCIe:) :(

8. Willz

get the x700, its ATI, you dont want that nvidia stuff :p, just overclock the x700pro, and you'll be beating the 6600gt. also, in benchmarks, the x700pro had beaten the 6600gt in some tests

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah if anyone can find a place in the UK where i can get the 6600GT for around £100 let me know, i may consider it, yeah ex you're right, aything will seem faster than this piece of crap i currently have.

10. Willz

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

would be good but its PCIe...

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

well if i do decide to get one it'll be the X700 Pro, like Exfoliate said I only want something to increase my performance and pretty much anything would be better, plus i've never used a 6600GT and i dont game much so i wont be bothered about that little bit of performance.
    HIS X700 Pro it is, a few weeks to wait for money then, heh...time to save beforehand as well...might get another 512MB of RAM as well, just while i'm getting something new....

13. Willz

its not like the 6600gt is a good gaming card lol, :hahahahahahD

14. kool_azn

kool_azn Geek Trainee

its jus like a average gaming card that u can get for a good price

15. Willz

gaming card, any card exept an high eng card is'nt a true gaming card i think :\

also, if you do go with the x700pro, do benchmarks (3d mark 01, 03, 05, aquamark 3) and see what you get, i would like to know what you get :)

16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

17. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you're running Linux, nVidia's drivers are vastly superior to ATi's. ATi is getting better, but the last I've heard, nVidia is still a better choice.

The dual GPU cards are PCIe only, not AGP, so they aren't even an option. If it wasn't for the Linux factor, ATi would be fine, but since that is the case, you're definitely better off checking out a GeForce 6600 or 6600GT over the X700 or X800 series.

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

But the drivers off the disk would play nicely with Linux right?

19. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The drivers for the X700 are ATi's drivers. Regardless of if it's from ATi's, HIS, or the driver CD, ATi wrote them, and it's a known issue that ATi's Linux drivers have performance problems. They are working on them, and the newest ones off their website would be your best bet, but the fact is that ATi's Linux drivers aren't at the same level as nVidia's are. Driver version 51873 is going to be the same driver regardless of where you get it from. Any problems with that driver will be the same no matter where you get it.

20. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Oh I know that the ones off the disk are ATI but I thought that the problem was more of lackluster availability than flakiness. Shame really.